Friday, August 04, 2006

For a better world - outlaw telemarketing

This note may seem off-topic, but I'm irked enough to write this now.

Last night (of course, at dinnertime) I received a telemarketing call "on behalf" of Amnesty International. They managed to get past my son (my kids usually can screen out telemarketers). They don't have to tell you they are telemarketers unless you ask. They also need to confirm that they are talking to you (since you have to a "relationship" with them to get past the "Do Not Call Registry" rules). So when she asked if I was a certain person, I didn't say yes - I asked who was calling. Then they did this "on behalf of..." thing - that's one giveaway that it's a telemarketer and not a volunteer for the organization. Another giveaway is that they mispronounce your name (here's an advantage for being Asian-American, your friends know how to pronounce your name correctly). I gave a contribution to Amnesty International last year so I had a "relationship" with them. I quickly mentioned I do not give contributions over the phone and hung up. There was no reason to try to get their company name and report a violation - they were allowed to bother me as they did.

You have to go back to the source. This year, instead of a contribution, Amnesty International will get a note. They wasted their money on professional telemarketers so no contribution from me this year. Recommend that they get rid of telemarketers entirely. I highly doubt that they are doing this work pro-bono. I would not be surprised if they get 50% (maybe even more) of the pledged money. Try asking the telemarketer to send the info in the mail - they will not be willing to do this, since they won't get their cut. I will do the same thing for any of the charities who go the telemarketing route.

I see absolutely no consumer value to telemarketing. Name one. It has caused more people to get answering machines because they don't want their dinners interrupted. The Do Not Call Registry was created - but I think is not strict enough. Telemarketing has stimulated the technology of Caller ID, probably more so than obscene phone calls (and it gives the telcoms a reason to charge you if you want the service).

I hate to say this, but I much prefer to get junk mail and spam than a telemarketing phone call. At least you can throw them away easily and you don't have to interrupt your dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home