Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Advertiser's 150 Year Retrospective

When I wrote the previous post, I found information about the Lani Bird satellite from The Honolulu Advertiser Hawaii's daily newspaper for over 150 years. On July 2 this year, the paper issued a special issue celebrating the 150th anniversary. There are six special sections covering events in Hawaii. They are divided as: Monarchy to Annexation; The Territory of Hawai'i; World War II and the March to Statehood; The 50th State; 20th to 21st Century; and Hawai'i's Culture and Society. I was not aware of this special issue and am excited about being able to go back and review it.

When I was born, Hawaii was still a US Territory. Statehood occurred when I was four. The only thing I remember was that the cars license plates changed from a red one to a green one. I don't even remember the 48 or 49 star US flags.

I'm especially interested in going back to the earlier events involving annexation. I remember learning Hawaiian history in elementary school and how great it was the the US took over Hawaii and about the "Big Five" Corporations. I know better now - the monarchy here was overthrown by the US and things were not so "nice and smooth".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home