Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Asian American Memoirs

I am a multitasker. Usually, I have at least 1 book which I am reading and 1 book-on-CD which I listen to in the car while driving. My book-on-CD comes from the public library (unless I'm listening to a course from the Teaching Company); the hard copy book is from the library or from my ever growing TBR (to be read) pile. Occasionally, the reading book and the listening book are related.

Recently I was reading The Accidental Asian by Eric Liu and listening to The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan. The parallels between the books were worth noting. Both books are autobiographical by second generation Chinese Americans. Both authors are very aware of how they have had to give up many aspects of Chineseness to live in America. They talk about the influence of their parents. They reflect on what it means to be Asian American, Chinese American and just plain American (all different) and whether any distinction is really desirable.

I could identify a lot with what they were saying although I'm one more generation being a plain American. I did not have the difficulties of using a different language to communicate with my parents and the rest of the world. Although growing up in Hawaii, being Japanese was not being of a minority - then I was thrown into the East Coast condititons when I went to college (fortunately the Northeast and not the deep south). I did find myself trying to avoid groups and labels which would identify me as Asian or Asian-American.

However looking back, I see some missed opportunities in terms of learning about my Japanese and Okinawan roots. Being firmly entrenched in middle age now (over 50) I realize it's important and not too late to fill in the gaps for this aspect of my knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home